Saturday, July 13, 2013

This week in class we talked about children’s needs and why they act out.  I learned that children want attention even if it’s bad attention.  So a child will continually act out in a negative way simply because he is getting some form of attention from his parents, even if it’s bad attention.  My teacher said something that really stuck out to me.  He said “behavior that gets noticed gets repeated.”  I have seen that to be true in my own family.  I am number seven of ten children so all of us were starved for attention.  Some of us acted out in bad ways, others tried to help out and get noticed in good ways.  I want to put that statement into effect when I have children.  If I notice and acknowledge all of the good things that they do throughout the day hopefully they will continue to do good things. 

This is a quote that I love from President Henry B. Eyring.  This hit’s really close to home for my family because my parents raised us very well, and several of my siblings are inactive and have strayed very far from the past.  But there is hope for those righteous parents that did all they could do to raise a righteous posterity. 

"Like Alma and King Mosiah, some faithful parents have served the Lord long and well yet have had children who wandered despite their parents’ sacrifice for the Lord. They have done all they could to no apparent avail, even with help from loving and faithful friends."

"Alma and the Saints of his day prayed for his son and the sons of King Mosiah. An angel came. Your prayers and the prayers of those who exercise their faith will bring the Lord’s servants to help your family members. They will help them choose the way home to God, even as they are attacked by Satan and his followers, whose purpose it is to destroy families in this life and in eternity."

"You remember the words spoken by the angel to Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah in their rebellion: “And again, the angel said: Behold, the Lord hath heard the prayers of his people, and also the prayers of his servant, Alma, who is thy father; for he has prayed with much faith concerning thee that thou mightest be brought to the knowledge of the truth; therefore, for this purpose have I come to convince thee of the power and authority of God, that the prayers of his servants might be answered according to their faith.”

“Come unto Me”
April 2013 General Conference
President Henry B. Eyring
First Counselor in the First Presidency


No comments:

Post a Comment