Saturday, June 8, 2013

For class this week we had to write on a discussion board about the baby blues.  Did you know that on average in this nation marital satisfaction goes down with each child?  And it only goes up when each child leaves the home!  I had no idea that that was the case.  I made me think back on my family.  Did my parents get more and more depressed with each child?  There are ten children in my family and if that was the case they would be in the depths of despair I think!  But thinking back on it, my parents always seemed so happy and loved to watch all of us kids learn and grow.  I remember my Dad told me one time that my Mother was always at her happiest when she was pregnant.  I think that it so beautiful.

If couples focus on their kids, the gospel and their personal relationship I don't see how they could decrease in happiness with each child.

"First, I have observed that in the happiest marriages both the husband and wife consider their relationship to be a pearl beyond price, a treasure of infinite worth. They both leave their fathers and mothers and set out together to build a marriage that will prosper for eternity. They understand that they walk a divinely ordained path. They know that no other relationship of any kind can bring as much joy, generate as much good, or produce as much personal refinement. Watch and learn: the best marriage partners regard their marriages as priceless."

-Elder L. Whitney Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment